Thursday, December 8, 2011

Joy to the world

 

IMG125

I love cookies. I mean, I REALLY love cookies.

Baking them. Smelling them. EATING them.

So what does a cookie junkie do when she is found to be gluten AND egg sensitive? Well, she obsesses with making the best damn gluten and egg free cookies she can. Each batch is a success when the Sweet Lovin’ Man of the House approves of the completed cookie, but ALSO when he can’t tell that they may/or may not be gluten free. This can be quite a challenge.

I have to admit that although this particular recipe was based on the flavor of a candy bar (Almond Joy to be exact), the Hubby had no part in tasting. I never knew he didn’t like coconut.  I love that I am still learning new things about him after all this time. That put the tasting part on myself and my 7 year old daughter, Sarah. She accepted her mission and did quite well. I have found my partner in cookie crime.

As I type, the house smells amazing, kind of like a warm coconut breeze with a short wave of dark chocolate. (I DID just make 9 dozen of these little babies for a cookie exchange tomorrow.)

Be in the moment – enjoy your treats! Even better, enjoy those treats with some great friends! 

JOYFUL ALMOND YUMMIES

Makes 12

 

1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed (or flax meal) mixed with 3 Tbs hot water, let sit for 5-10 minutes

1 1/3 Cups grated sweetened coconut

½ Cup evaporated cane juice

3 Tbsp. brown rice flour

½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. pure vanilla OR almond extract

12 almonds

½ dark chocolate bar (I used Lindt 70% cocoa Smooth Dark)

 

1. Preheat oven to 325®.

2. In a bowl, mix coconut, evaporated cane juice, brown rice flour, salt, flax gel and extract until combined.

3. Using a cookie scoop (Tb size), form 12 round cookies and place onto lightly greased cookie sheet.

4. Place cookies in preheated oven and bake 10- 15 minutes until golden.

5. Remove from baking sheet and place on rack to cool.

6. Boil a small amount of water in a pot on the stove and place a glass dish that fits tightly onto the pot (as a double boiler). Break the chocolate into pieces and place into the glass bowl. Turn off the stove and stir the chocolate until melted. Drop an almond into the chocolate and using a small spoon coat the almond with the chocolate and then, using the spoon again, lift the almond out of the bowl and place onto a cookie, pushing it slightly into the cookie. Pour an extra spoonful of chocolate onto the cookie and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment